Monday, September 8, 2008

Run

That was it, one word. "Run."  I would not classify myself as a "runner," though I know the rigors of a regular running regime.  I wrestled in high school and played soccer in college.  I still don't see the point of running for the sake of running, though I know and respect many people who do.  I ran to score more goals, or make weight, but mostly, I ran because I knew my opponents were running and because my team mates needed me to run.

I've been hanging out with Hearing God, by Dallas Willard lately.  Willard describes the way we learn to hear God's voice and distinguish it from our own thoughts or the voice of something or someone else.  I recognized that voice this morning.  "Run," He said.  So, I ran.

In my recent conversations with the Word of God, I've come to the impression that the effects of sin in our lives require some discipline to shed.  I've been struck by St. Augustine's description of the four Greek virtues (justice, courage, wisdom and moderation) and the three spiritual ones (faith, hope and love).  It strikes me that the last three move us to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart."  The first four move us to "Love the Lord your God with all your...mind and strength," by "loving your neighbor as yourself."

God had a lesson for me this morning that I could not understand sitting in my chair at a desk.  My running takes me through Sailor Bar Park below the bluffs along the American River in Fair Oaks.  I slog along the very paths my father traversed the thirty years before he died.  Dad became a real runner, the kind that simply must run.  I sense his footprints on these paths, and I'm reminded of his amazing commitment to his Jesus, and the mighty strength of his character.  They encourage me.  I can run farther here than anywhere else.

A labyrinth of paths and dirt roads dart through stands of trees and gentle hills and vales.  I do not know these paths very well.  When I ran with Dad, I simply followed him, paying little attention to where we went or the way home.  Until today I have not ventured off a single road.   I would simply run a distance and return along the same path.  Today I sensed that I needed to take a turn into uncharted territory.  The lesson became clear as I found myself on unfamiliar ground.

Small trails led to the right and left.  I could tell that many ended not far from the road.  But some disappeared intriguingly behind a hill or through a shaded grove.  Some of these would be fun to explore and perfectly safe as long as I could see the main route.  Others would render me lost.  My heart reassured me that I should continue on the main path.  I followed these promptings along several winding roads and over a short narrow path until I found myself at the very place I had begun.

I sensed the Spirit's teaching.  Here is my paraphrase, "Scot, you are not yet ready for all of the tasks ahead.  Keep running.  I will prepare you for the next step.  You must continue to run without knowing for sure what will happen.  You will shed the poundage that sin leaves behind, and gradually you will learn all the roads and all the paths set before you.  As long as you stay close to the route I have laid out and the destination is clear, you can explore to your heart's content.  It brings me great pleasure when you enjoy what I have created.  Listen to me and you will always find your way home."

Scot--

No comments: